Hey, readers! So glad that you've stopped by today because I am really excited about sharing this week's project!
Now that winter weather has hit, I am hunkering down indoors and working my way through the list of DIY projects that I've been adding to for the past six months. (I'm so much more motivated when it's 30 degrees and snowing outside!)
This week, I tackled the dollhouse renovation that I've been wanting to do for months. This is the Kidkraft Chelsea dollhouse ( find it on Amazon here) which I purchased second hand for my girls about three years ago. The original design is actually pretty cute, and it worked well for us when we had a playroom because it matched the color scheme and decor in the room. However, now that we've downsized and no longer have space for a playroom, the dollhouse resides in the girls' shared bedroom. The bedroom color palette of pink, aqua, white, navy and gold just wasn't working with the dollhouse design, and the OCD person in me had to fix it! And so the dollhouse renovation began.
First of all, this ended up being a MUCH larger project than I initially planned for. I probably spent a total of 20 hours on this remodel. So be prepared to invest some time on this one!
One thing that would have made this MUCH easier would have been taking all of the pieces apart, laying them flat and spray painting everything white in the beginning. I stupidly kept the whole thing together and hand painted everything with a brush, which took FOREVER. Don't be like me. Save yourself the headache and use spray paint. Additionally, taking it apart first would have made it much easier to paper the walls. As it was, I struggled trying to measure out each piece perfectly while working with small spaces and corners.
I used a few different types of paper on the floors and walls. Some were sheet scrapbook paper, some were roll paper and one was even wrapping paper! To be honest, the wrapping paper actually ended up being the easiest to work with.
Most of the furniture was original to the dollhouse. I painted everything except for the vanity, which was already white. I also made new bedding from an old t-shirt that I can't resell because it had some staining on the front. It worked perfectly for the bunkbed and vanity stool! I purchased the upholstered living room furniture at Hobby Lobby (with my 40% off coupon, of course!) and the fireplace and dresser were from Dollar Tree.
All in all, I have to say that even though this was a massive project, it was totally worth it! The end result is so darling, and the girls feel like they have a brand new dollhouse! Definitely time well spent :).